November 22, 2010

black sticky rice porridge



I was first served Black Rice Porridge as a breakfast food in Bali some 13 years back. It was 4am and we were off to climb some volcano and watch the sunrise, so forced my 14 year old self to down this black sloppy 'energy food' helper. I never did make it to the top of that mountain but I spent the next six years of my life secretly obsessing over that breakfast until I found it for sale again from a Beijing street seller. Since then, there have been several failed attempts at recreating this dish using various microwavable 'intant' packets, but had never (until now) thought to just google how to make that guy!

Oh god, its the easiest thing to make ever and is just so damned tasty. I want to describe it as chocolatey but think maybe its just delicious like chocolate but with a different flavour all together. I dont know. What I am really trying to say here is - Make it! Its summery goodness and winter comfort food all in one so youve got no excuse. Even add fresh mango or banana! Yum!

A "recipe". Inverted Comma.

1C Black Glutenous Rice (aka Black Sticky Rice)
5C Water
4 Tbsp Palm Sugar (but palm sugar can be a bit scary though, non? raw sugar is ok too, apparently)
1 Tin Coconut Cream
Mango or Banana (Optional)

Serves 4-6.

Wash then soak rice overnight. Add to a pot with 5 cups of water. Bring the the boil and simmer for roughly 1 hour, stirring occasionally. It should be a porridge like consistancy with the rice soft right through. Stir in shaved palm sugar to taste (roughly 4 tablespoon, it does need to be quite sweet!) then serve with coconut cream and fruit.

Refridgerated, it will keep well for a few days, too. Just reheated as you go. Yep.

--
Oh, and how amazing are those pincushion protea flowers? My housemate and I picked them from someones garden while drunkardly walking home last week, as we are known to do. They are my new love.

19 comments:

  1. That porridge looks delicious - ill have to try make it sometime. Beautiful flower too, I just got a lovely bunch of similar looking natives from the market at the weekend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flowers - truly worthy of a new love - and equally lovely sticky black rice pudding.

    One of my very favourite things, that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic food shoot, and the black sticky rice thing I will have to try, only tried a white version with lemongrass, and that was delicious too. Nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my boyfriend whipped up black sticky rice pudding recently when we had a late night sweets craving but a bare cupboard. so yum, and a very energy rich breakfast dish too I'd think. the proteas are beautiful, and photographed maganificantly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whole town is blooming in such a crazy way that it'd be wrong not to steal a little of it inside. This porridge looks amazing. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos take my breath away. Sweet black rice + coconut milk...delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We call it pulau hitam.. SO yummy and so comforting! I love it! : ) Used to always eat it back home in Singapore. Anyway, your pictures are sooo lovely and too bad I didn't get to see you yesterday. It was WAY too crowded and hot! : S

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow guys, this comment page is like an all-star line up of people i think are rad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa. I´d love to try that one! Beautiful pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh great recipe! so glad i found your blog :) lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i absolutely love this! <3 i live in malaysia, so it's quite common here and my grandma makes it frequently! (:
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. black porridge! looks so delicious. your photo captured it's mouth watering effect. can't wait to try this for my niece this coming weekend. a great way to make the kids eat nutritious food. very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the Philippines it's called champorado; we boil sticky rice then mix cocoa with it, that's what makes it dark and sweet. Then milk (and sugar) to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  14. as Dawn said, it's a Singaporean dessert! :) it's called 'Pulut Hitam' - absolutely decadent (with coconut milk) and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks amazing! Any chance you know where to find black sticky rice in Melbourne?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Falcon, Ive bought it from both Naturally on High (thornbury) and Minh Phat Supermarket (richmond) but think most asian grocers should stock it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your most inspiring photos and blog. My friend Angela sent me the link to your blog yesterday and I dashed out to buy a 5lb bag of black glutinous rice from Little Saigon, getting ready to make yummy black glutinous rice porridge for me and my kiddos! yummm!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails